Thursday 23 August 2012

Whoopie Pies









Meet my new kitchen gadget - my whoppie pie tray. I didn't even know such a thing existed until I saw this little darling sitting on the shelf at a local store. It was like this tray was simultaneously lit-up with a throbbing beacon in the shape of my name and singing the hallelujah chorus. You see, I have a thing for kitchenalia, so I was a goner when I saw this. It's not that you need a bespoke tray to make whoopie pies, you can easily use a normal baking tray, it's just that I was desperate to add another baking tray to my collection (snort).  Anyway, once I purchased it, I immediately came home and made whoopie pies - go figure!


Whoopie Pies
from taste.com.au
Makes 16

150g plain flour
50g Dutch cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
120g unsalted butter, softened
100g brown sugar
1 egg, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
125ml buttermilk
100g white marshmallows

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Spray your whoopie pie tray with cooking oil spray or line 2 baking trays with baking paper.

Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl.

Beat the butter and sugar in an electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, followed by the vanilla and buttermilk. Reduce speed to low, add dry ingredients and beat until combined. Place tablespoonfuls of mixture in moulds or  4cm apart on the prepared trays. Bake for 7-8 minutes until doubled in size and firm on top when gently pressed. Cool on trays.

Place marshmallows and 1 teaspoon warm water in a microwave-safe dish and microwave on high for 20 seconds, then stir until smooth. This makes a very sticky mixture. I used a wet spatula and wet fingers to handle it. Spread the melted marshmallows over 16 of the rounds, then sandwich them together with the remaining rounds.

Wrap individually in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.

2 comments:

  1. I too am a lover of gadgets and could spend countless hours in kitchen outlets. You did your new gadget proud - the whoopie pies look fabulous. How does anyone stay slim in your household? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. It's the first time I've ever made or tasted whoopie pies. I'm pretty sure my new gadget is going to get lots of use. And the answer to your question, good genes. LOL

    ReplyDelete