Wednesday 5 December 2012

Cheese and Chive Scones












I can't make anything without adding cheese. I threw cheese in my chilli yesterday and I had a grilled cheese sandwich with soup for lunch today. I'm telling you, if it's on the stove or in the oven, it's got cheese in it. Check out these if you don't believe me:

Feta and Cheddar Pastries with Spicy Tomato Kasundi

...and the list goes on... and on...

And I've made my fair share of cheese scones like these and these.  I'm happy to tell you that these Cheese and Chive Scones are some of the best I've ever had the pleasure of slathering with butter and stuffing into my mouth. And you’d better believe there has been a lot of butter slathering and cheese stuffing going on over the years.


Cheese and Chive Scones
adapted from Very Best Baking
Makes 12

2 cups plain flour plus additional for kneading
170g grated sharp cheese (I used a trio of Rubicon Red, Creamy Lancashire and Double Gloucester)
1/2 cup dry skim milk powder
1/4 cup chopped chives
2 tablespoons caster sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
75g butter
1 cup water, or a little more or less, to make a soft dough
1 tablespoon milk for brushing

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C. Lightly grease baking tray.

Pu the flour, dry milk, sugar, baking powder, salt and cayenne in a food processor and whiz briefly to combine. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.  

Tip the mixture into a large bowl and add the cheese and chives. Stir in the water just until moistened.

Knead the dough 10 times on a lightly floured surface. Pat into 20 x 15-cm rectangle. Cut into 12 scones. 

Place scones about 5 cms apart on the prepared baking tray. Brush the tops with milk.

BAKE for 18-20 minutes or until light golden brown. Serve warm.

6 comments:

  1. i loooooove savory scones... these sound incredible. i make some like these with bacon that are dangerous with my husband around... he will destroy them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh cheese. Like coffee, I could eat some all day long. They are so many varieties and it's always good. If you don't like something, put cheese on it, it will be better ;)

    Your scones looks terrific + they look good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scrumptious looking as always. Love a good cheese biscuit. I sent you an e-mail with a recipe, etc. for some decadent brownies. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Little Kitchie. Oh yeah, bacon... and may be some chopped jalapenos... we should start a franchise :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Gabrielle. I'm pretty sure coffee and cheese set of the same receptors in my brain... the ones located in my "must have now, must have more" lobe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Patty. If you've got a good cheese biscuit, who needs dinner? Thanks for the e-mail - I love receiving emails about decadent brownies, but then again, you know that :P

    ReplyDelete