Sunday 2 December 2012

Chocolate Dulce de Leche Cookies












Yeah, that's right. I just made chocolaty chocolate cutout cookies. And they were made with both melted chocolate and cocoa powder. And I put a GOOD amount of sea salt flakes in them. Chocolate and salt, yes. And I cut teeny circles in half of the cookies with an apple corer. No-one ever said I wasn't resourceful. Well, I don't know that for sure, but... And I dolloped blobs of dulce de leche on to the whole cookies. And I topped each one with a doughnut shaped cookie... (Did someone say doughnuts?) And I stacked cookies on top of each other in various formations while I contorted myself onto impossible positions to photograph them. And I think I pulled a hamstring in the process.


Chocolate Dulce de Leche Cookies
From Martha Stewart
Makes 18

3/4 cup plaon flour, plus more for dusting
1/4 cup cocoa
3/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt flakes (I used my favourite, Maldon Salt)
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup caster sugar
1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
115g dark chocolate, melted and cooled
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup dulce de leche

Whisk together the flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl. Set aside.

Beat butter and sugars with an electric mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Beat in egg, yolk, chocolate, and vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture, and beat until just combined. Shape into a disk, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate 1 hour.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to about 3mm thick. Cut out 36 rounds with a 5cm cutter, and space 2cms apart on baking paper-lined baking sheets. Using an small circle cutter (I used an apple corer because I didn't have a really small round cookie cutter), cut a small circle in the center of half the cookies. Refrigerate 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 190 degrees C. Bake until set, 7 to 9 minutes. Let cool. Top each uncut cookie with 1 teaspoon dulce de leche and a cutout cookie.

14 comments:

  1. I love the combination of chocolate and salt. These look marvelous

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. When I was in high school all the other kids thought I was nuts when I put salty potato chips in my chocolate ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Patty. Salty potato chips in chocolate ice cream - I'll second that. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol. I love your resourcefullness. Apple correr - who would have thought of that. I usually use the round tip (part of piping bag). This is good to know there are other alternatives ;)

    Love it and can't wait to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey S. I think I use my apple corer more for cutting cookies than coring apples :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Chocolate and dulce de leche? How nice is that! Full of dulce de leche...Well, I'm gonna bake now, I need sugar ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love sweet and salty! What a great idea to make chocolate cut-outs. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you got that sugar Gabrielle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Ashley. Thanks for your comment. Sweet and salty... I'm the #1 fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. how does sea salt make every dessert 1000x better? but it does! these look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jennifer, these Chocolate Dulce de Leche Cookies look fantastic! I saw them on FoodePix and couldn't click over fast enough. Nice work and thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Little Kitchie. I know what you mean. Oh, to find the crunch of a little flake of salt in a cookie...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Brooks at Cakewalker, and you're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Try chocolate with hot salted chips :)

    ReplyDelete