Thursday 20 December 2012

Chorizo And Potato Salad With Rocket And Manchego Shavings













I figured if I made a salad after making the Deepest Darkest Chocolate Cake, I might kid you into thinking that I'm not such a glutton afterall. But then, looking at this "salad" of chorizo and potato (and barely anything else), I guess I blew it! 



Chorizo And Potato Salad With Rocket And Manchego Shavings
From Katie Quinn Davies What Katie Ate
Serves 4-6

500 g waxy potatoes (I used Dutch Creams)
1 teaspoon fine salt
olive oil, for cooking
250 g chorizo, halved lengthways, then cut into thin slices
1/2 cup (75 g) drained sun-dried tomatoes
zest and juice of 1 lemon, zest removed in thin curls using a citrus zester
1 red onion, halved and finely sliced
1 large clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
large handful rocket leaves, cut into strips
150 g manchego, shaved

Half-fill a large saucepan with cold water and add the potatoes and salt. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are just cooked through. Drain and leave to cool completely before cutting into 2 cm slices, then transfer to a large bowl.

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan over medium heat, then add the chorizo and fry for 10 minutes or until crisp. Remove from the pan and add to the potatoes, along with the sun-dried tomatoes, lemon zest and onion.

Whisk together the minced garlic, extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice in a small bowl, season with salt and pepper, then pour over the salad. Toss gently, then turn out onto a serving platter.

Scatter with the rocket and shaved manchego and serve.


I served it with spinach and feta pie... and then I ate a big slice of Deepest Darkest Chocolate Cake.

4 comments:

  1. you are using some of my favorite ingredients here! looove the combo of chorizo and manchego. and love that you served it with a slice of cake still ;) it's all about balance...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A combination like that, I love it! & yeah, it's a salad you have some green in there with the rocket ;) Chorizo, potato and manchego...wow. I loooove it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Little Kitchie. Don't you love food parings - chorizo and manchego... salad and cake...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe Gabrielle. Thank you for spotting the greens, that makes me feel a whole lot better.

    ReplyDelete