Monday 14 January 2013

Corn and Israeli Couscous Salad











We are in the throes of remodeling our beach house, which is code for saying I'm covered from head to foot in paint. I swear I cannot go near a can of Dulux Wash and Wear without looking like a 4 year old during a finger-painting session. I have paint in my hair, on my shoes, under my fingernails and just about everywhere else, some even managed to find its way onto the walls.  After a day of being completely out of my comfort zone, a day spent climbing ladders, taping window sills, wrangling paint rollers and whining about losing minutes of my life to inhaling paint fumes (it's not just the hot weather that makes me whine), the only thing I'm capable of is eating pizza out of a box. The day after that, I'm ready to hit the kitchen again... which is my natural habitat after all.



Corn and Israeli Couscous Salad
from Annabel Langbein's Simple Pleasures
Serves 4 

1 cup Israeli couscous
2 cobs sweetcorn
1 small carrot, coarsely grated
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1 tablespoon coriander leaves
2 tablespoons neutral oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

Cook the Israeli couscous according to the instructions on the packet. Drain and allow to cool. Boil sweetcorn in salted water for 3 minutes until tender. Slice the kernels off the sweetcorn cobs and place in a serving bowl with the Israeli couscous, carrot, almonds and coriander.

In a small jar shake together the oil, lemon juice and cumin with salt and ground black pepper to taste. Pour over the salad, toss and serve.

I served it with crispy skinned salmon fillets.

6 comments:

  1. This gorgeous dish serves to let me know how much I miss our fresh local vegetables during our summer months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've trouble using my Israeli Couscous and now, I got the best recipe ever!!! I love every ingredients and I've a lot of our summer corn in my mason jars, I could do that soon!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These salad is making me yearn for warm weather! It's tooooo coldddddd hereeee.

    Remodeling is always an undertaking. But the end result always makes it worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Patty. Our veggie garden is over-flowing with fresh produce. You can't beat picking your own just before you eat it that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'll love this Gabrielle, and your canned corn will be great in it. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Little Kitchie. Corn is like sunshine on the cob to me. Picked fresh from our garden and eaten within minutes, that's summer right there!

    And I totally agree about the remodeling.

    ReplyDelete