Wednesday 30 January 2013

Wild Rice Salad with Asparagus and Baby Corn










As I've mentioned before, I can get a little carried away when I go shopping. I don't mean shopping shopping... like buying cute jeans or pretty peep-toe wedges or funky nail polish. I mean food shopping. I will easily splurge a gazillion hard-earned dollars on olive oil and sherry vinegar, but I balk at paying $700 for a dress I may only wear once... not to mention accessories. I think my handbag is soooo last decade. I'll buy expensive foodstuffs that I don't have any clue how to use without blinking an eye, but think twice about that shirt that I kind of need. Which brings me to wild rice (did you get that smooth segue?) I saw wild rice and I bought it. I had no idea what I was going to do with it and it has sat on my shelves until it was dangerously to its use-by date. Now, if I'd have bought myself a $700 cocktail dress, I'd be telling my husband to take me out to a cocktail party just so I could justify the purchase instead of  making Wild Rice Salad with Asparagus and Baby Corn. Hmmmmmm... What is wrong with this picture?



Wild Rice Salad with Asparagus and Baby Corn
from Delicious
Serves 4-6

For the Salad:
120g wild rice
100g brown rice
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
150g baby corn, halved
2 spring onions, thinly sliced
6 radishes, thinly sliced
1 cup baby spinach, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons hazelnuts, toasted, roughly chopped
2 tablespoon mint leaves
pomegranate seeds from halve a pomegranate

For the Dressing:
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon orange juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

Make the Salad:
Bring a large pan of water to a simmer over medium heat. Add rices and cook for 45 minutes or until tender. Drain, then rinse under cold water. Transfer to a large bowl to cool.

Cook asparagus and corn in a saucepan of boiling water for 3 minutes until tender, then drain and refresh. Slice asparagus in half length ways, then add to the rice with the corn, spring onion, radish, spinach and nuts.

Make the Dressing:
Whisk all the ingredients together, then our over the salad and toss to combine. Top with mint and pomegranate seeds.



4 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS salad! I love all the colors going on.

    I'm the same way when it comes to shopping. I just got a huge shipment of flours, oils, and vinegars in the mail and I was more giddy than I ever have been over a package of clothes or shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only baby corn I have ever seen is from a can! You are so lucky to have found what appears to be fresh picked! I am jealous. I am the same way about shopping - would much rather have a pantry of delectable food items than a dress any day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Little Kitchie. Hehe, you sound just like me. Oh, and internet groceries, I could kiss the person who invented that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Patty. Cute, adorable and delicious fresh baby corn... We are so lucky. We produce high quality and an amazing variety of produce here.

    On the dress shopping V food shopping, we are a special breed.

    ReplyDelete