Monday 3 June 2013

Little Spinach Pies










Spinach = healthy, right? Unless, of course you wrap it up in buttery pastry with LOTS of creamy full-fat cheese. But the spinach part is still bursting with nutrition, that's gotta be worth something.


Little Spinach Pies
Makes 12

For the Pastry Cases:
9 sheets filo pastry
150g unsalted butter, melted

For the Filling:
200g frozen chopped spinach, thawed and all liquid squeezed out
60g fetta, crumbled
150g ricotta, crumbled
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons dill, finely chopped
2 spring onions, finely sliced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, plus extra for sprinkling
Pinch dried chilli flakes
Sea salt flakes
Freshly ground black pepper

Grease a 12-hole muffin pan generously with melted butter. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C (fan-force).

Make the Filling:
Put all the ingredients into a bowl and stir well with a fork until everything is fully incorporated. Set aside.

Make the Pastry Cases:
Cut 6 of the pastry sheets in half, so that you have 12 rectangles. Brush each rectangle (one at a time) with melted butter, fold them into quarters, brushing them with melted butter between each fold. Press one folded rectangle into each muffin-hole.

Spoon the filling equally into the pastry cases.

Cut 3 pastry sheets into quarters, so that you have 12 small rectangles. Brush each rectangle (one at a time) with melted butter, fold them into quarters, brushing them with melted butter between each fold. Top each pie with the small rectangle and then scrunch the over-hanging edges of pastry over to completely over the filling. Sprinkle with a little dried oregano.

Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and the filling is cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes in the tin. Remove to a wire rack to cool.

17 comments:

  1. Oh my god those little pies are so cute!!!!!! Spinach, it's a veggie so no worry :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The spinach and cuteness factor of these totally cuts out the butter and cream cheese. It makes sense in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look *amazing*. I bring almost everything that I bake into the office for my team, and recently I've been getting requests for savory things. These will definitely be made!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could eat a dozen of these. Wow, sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look amazing, i love your photography, i'm going to make my own ricotta in my thermomix tomorrow,thanks for reminding me how good these are ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look absolutely yummylicious. And the white cake from your last post is amazing... as always. If there is any dinner party I would like to get invited to, it will be yours. Just imagine all the amazing food, us sharing recipes, discussing about our dismay on sweaty armpits and that wet wipes are the best thing ever since slice bread (or maybe we won't go as far as that)...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heck yeah, that's healthy, and really cute too. I love little anything, my favorite way to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spinach = healthy and butter = love....so...spinach + butter = happiness :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, I'm with you Little Kitchie cute cancels out cream.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Kristen - these will be perfect for your colleagues - you might get promoted.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Patty - Eating a dozen of these is easy - but you didn't hear it from me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Sherryll. These will be great with your homemade ricotta. I love homemade ricotta.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks B. I'm sure we could find a lot things to talk about over a slice or three of cake, including our armpits and the social-life-saving qualities of the humble wet wipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Pink Patisserie. "Small plates to share" is my favourite way to eat too. Particularly when there's lots of small plates.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Andréanne, your my kinda gal.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yep Gabrielle,I really need to eat three at a time to make sure I'm getting my veggies.

    ReplyDelete