Thursday 25 July 2013

S'mores Cookie Bars















Remember the scene from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation? The one where Clark jumps into bed with Ellen after they get their Christmas tree. Where Clark tries to read the People Magazine with sticky fingers from the tree sap and gets stuck to the magazine, the lamp and eventually to Ellen. Yep, that's what happens to me with Marshmallow Fluff.



S'mores Cookie Bars
slightly adapted from Lovin' from the Oven
Makes 16

115g unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/3 cup plain flour
3/4 cup Digestive biscuit crumbs (I blitzed about 7 Digestive biscuits in my food processor)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups marshmallow fluff (not marshmallows)

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C. Grease a 20cm square cake pan with cooking oil spray and line the base with baking paper. Leave the baking paper to over-hang two sides of the pan, that way it will be easier to unmould.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and both sugars together on a medium speed until light and creamy. Reduce the speed to low and gently beat in the egg and vanilla.

In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, biscuit crumbs, baking powder and salt. Add to the butter mixture and mix on low speed until just incorporated.

Divide the dough in half and press one half into the base of the prepared pan. Spread the marshmallow fluff evenly over the dough layer (I resorted to using an ice cream scoop to get the fluff out of the jar, and a very sticky spatula to spread the fluff.) Sprinkle an even layer of chocolate chips over the marshmallow layer, then finish with the remaining dough. I broke off small portions of dough, flattened them between my palms then placed them like tiles over the chocolate layer.

Bake for 30 minutes, until lightly browned. Leave to cool completely in the pan before cutting into bars.

21 comments:

  1. I've seen marshmallow fluff in the supermarket and wondered what to do with it.

    These bars look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, this is exactly what I'm talking about.. Gooey, gorgeous comfort in a bar. Wish I had one right now. Yumm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talk about ooey gooey goodness. Yum...I might actually attempt camping if there was a promise to serve those!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing. I love the pictures...the only problem is they're making me drool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. they looks so delicious but I think it will be difficult for me to make

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh! Reminds me of a campfire :) Really nice idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm s'mores without the trouble of a fire! So accessible I love this idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Emma - My advice to you regarding Marshmallow Fluff... Don't Buy It. If you succumb to the temptation, you'll be "sticking" it in everything. You can trust me on this. My name is Jen and I'm a Marshmallow Fluff-aholic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Maria - couldn't have said it better myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha Jessica. I only went camping once and will never do it again - that's my idea of torture. Good thing you don't need a campfire, tent, mosquitos, hard floors to sleep on, noisy fellow campers, discomfort, no bathrooms, hot weather, freezing weather or anything else that usually goes with camping to have as many of these as you want. YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Little Kitchie - only if you promise to share it with me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @dbandjelly. Thanks for stopping by. We encourage drooling here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Laura - I could go my whole life and not go camping, but I don't want to miss out on ANY s'mores eating.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look great, can't wait to try it!! Do you think I could use graham crackers instead of digestive biscuits?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham crackers would be perfect - digestive biscuits are pretty much the same thing. Enjoy!

      Delete
  15. I just made these (it's our first summer holiday here in the US) and they both look and smell divine. Love using digestives over graham crackers. Thank you for a great recipe (and beautiful photographs)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I'm so glad you enjoyed these. They are a favourite of ours.

      Delete