Thursday 22 August 2013

Multi-Grain Bread with Sesame, Flax and Poppy Seeds


Sesame, Flax and Poppy...like Huey, Dewey and Louie



Eat it for breakfast and you'll able to eat Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Dark Chocolate Frosting for lunch... or at least that's what I tell myself.



Nothing smells better than fresh bread, straight from the oven... but frying bacon is a close second.



Better than sliced bread.



Wait! It is sliced bread.


YUM!



I know there are some people for whom carbs are a No, No!, but for me they are most definitely a Yes, Yes!



Multi-Grain Bread with Sesame, Flax and Poppy Seeds
slightly adapted from Epicurious


1/2 cup unsweetened multi-grain cereal (I used my Natural Muesli - minus the dried fruit)
2 cup boiling water
1 sachet of dried yeast (7grams)
4 cups of bread flour, lux extra if needed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
2 teaspoons flax seeds
2 teaspoons poppy seeds

Put the cereal into the bowl of an electric mixer and pour over the boiling water. Set aside for about 20 minutes until the cereal has softened and swollen and the water has cooled to about 30 degrees C.

Sprinkle the yeast over the cereal and add about 1 cup of the flour, oil, sugar and salt and with the dough hook fitted, gently mix. Gradually add enough of the remaining flour to form a dough. Set aside to rest for 15 minutes.

Turn the mixer on to low speed and mix for about 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic. Add a little more flour if the dough it too wet, or a little more water if the dough is too dry.

Spray a large, clean bowl with cooking oil spray and transfer the dough into it. Give the top of the dough a light spray of oil and cover the bowl with cling wrap. Set aside for 1 hour to double in bulk.

Mix all the seeds together in a bowl and line a large baking sheet with baking paper.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly oiled surface and knead briefly.

Shape the dough onto a 30 x 10 cm loaf.

Sprinkle the prepared baking sheet with half of the seeds and place the loaf on top. Cover with a clean tea towel and leave to rise again for 30 minuets.

Position one oven rack in the centre of the oven and another just below it. Place a roasting pan on the lower rack and preheat the oven to 210 degrees C.

Mist the loaf with a little water and sprinkle with the remaining seeds. Make 3 large diagonal slashes in the top of the loaf with a sharp knife and place the baking sheet on the upper rack in the oven. Immediately pour 2 cups of water into the hot roasting pan on the lower rack - this provides steam and will help to develop the crust.

Bake for about 35 minutes, or until golden on top and you get a hollow sound when you tap the bottom of the loaf. Transfer the loaf to a wire rack to cool.



14 comments:

  1. Great minds think alike, I baked a similar loaf to this yesterday! I agree carbs are yes yes yes! Your loaf looks delicious and I find baking your own bread so satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma. I love to bake my own bread too... the fact that I get my carb fix at the end of it is a great motivator.

      Delete
  2. I like how you think- muesli for breakfast and cupcake(s) for lunch. And since the bread is multigrain, which is healthy, we can snack on it all day guilt-free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you all they way on the justifying front there Belle :)

      Delete
  3. What a lovely loaf! I can't imagine my life without bread either. It would be torturous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I agree Maria. Just think, no soup with a big slab of bread for dunking, no toast, no sandwiches... I can't talk about it any more, it's too upsetting :0

      Delete
  4. How nice does this bread looks!! WOW! I love bread too much to live without it! Homemade breads are the best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Gabrielle - Making and eating your own bread is one of life's pleasures... one I'm not prepared to live without.

      Delete
  5. You are amazing! This is one beautiful bread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Marie. We just kept going back "for just one more slice" until it was gone.

      Delete
  6. Mmmm, I am a carb girl too Jen! This bread looks divine... I like the addition of the muesli and seeds. Perfect for a satisfying lunch (I hate bread that gets digested in ten seconds, I end up hungry again mid-afternoon!). Particularly with those glossy tomatoes and basil, mmm xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura. Oh yeah, I detest bread that just disintegrates into dust when you slice it or weighs nothing when you pick it up - A total waste of carb points in my opinion. Give me a substantial, seed-studded loaf with structure any day.

      Delete

      Delete
  7. i'm so with you! carbs are soooo a yes yes! :P
    love this! it looks so fresh, healthy and simple! so giving it a go! :)

    and just stumbled across your blog and simply love it! all the recipes are so mouth watering! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's an easy loaf to put together and so satisfying to see it come out of the oven all covered in toasted seeds. I hope you LOVE it.

      Delete