Wednesday 6 November 2013

Crockpot Sarsaparilla Pulled Pork and Creamy Apple Slaw Sandwiches

 







  




I'm all about comfort food at the moment, comfort food and going to the gym. They kind of go hand in hand.



Crockpot Sarsaparilla Pulled Pork and Creamy Apple Slaw Sandwiches 
Makes 8

For the Pork:
1kg boneless pork shoulder
Sea salt flakes
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup sarsaparilla (or root beer)
1/4 - 1/2 cup barbecue sauce (Your favourite.)

8 soft bread rolls

For the Creamy Apple Slaw:
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup Greek yoghurt (I used goat's yoghurt)
1 tablespoon spicy grain mustard
Juice of half a lemon
Sea salt flakes
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 green cabbage
1 large carrot
1 red apple (I used a Pink Lady)

Make the Pork:
Pour the oil into a large skillet and heat to medium-high.

Season the pork generously with salt and pepper. Put the pork into the hot skillet and sear all sides until golden brown.

Transfer the pork to the crockpot and pour in the sarsaparilla. Set to low and cook for 6 hours.

Remove the pork from the crockpot and discard the liquid. Shred the meat with two forks and pour the barbecue sauce over and mix.

Make the Creamy Apple Slaw:
Get yourself a large salad bowl. Pour the mayonnaise, yoghurt, mustard, lemon juice and salt and pepper in it and give it a good whisk. Check the seasoning and adjust to taste.

Finely shred the cabbage, carrot and apple and add them to the dressing in the bowl. Toss everything together, making sure the vegetables are evenly coated with the dressing.

Assemble the Sandwiches:
Cut the bread rolls in half. Cover the bottoms with pulled pork and then some creamy slaw and top with their lids. Kick back and chow down.

11 comments:

  1. What a great combination of flavours! I wouldn't mind having one of those now:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you invite me over for lunch, and make me one of these? Pretty, please! They look sooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come for lunch Belle... I'll put the Champagne on ice.

      Delete
  3. I don't have a word about your recipe because if I could, I would have my mouth full with one of your sandwich. It looks so good and I'm craving right now. My god!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely am in love with the slaw recipe and the pork.........pulled pork sandwich. My mouth is watering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really easy slaw recipe, but so good Patty.

      Delete
  5. This looks like an easy weeknight meal. Can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcella. This is a perfect week night meal. Enjoy!

      Delete
  6. Made this recipe for my brothers and sisters last night for our weeknight get together. It was one very happy dinner table :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to hear Robert. I'm so glad you all enjoyed it.

      Delete