Friday 28 March 2014

No-Knead Fruit Bread with Candied Orange and Cinnamon Butter













I'm usually not that crazy about fruit bread, but this one is different. I want to marry this loaf... And if I can't wed the bread, then I want to elope with the butter.



No-Knead Fruit Bread with Candied Orange and Cinnamon Butter
adapted from Donna Hay

For the Bread:
450g 00" flour
3/4 teaspoon dry yeast
1 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
375ml room temperature water
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
200g sultanas
40g dates
50g sour cherries
Zest of a lemon
Zest of an orange

For the Butter:
60g caster sugar
3 teaspoons water
60ml orange juice
Finely grated zest of 2 oranges
250g unsalted butter, softened
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Make the Bread:
Put all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl and mix with your hands until you have a sticky dough. Cover with cling film and leave it at room temperature for 4 hours until tripled in size.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and shape it into an oblong shape about 5cm thick. If you have a proofing basket, line it with a clean cloth, dust the cloth generously with flour and put the dough in. Fold the edges of the cloth over the top of the dough to cover and leave in a warm place to rise to double in bulk, about an hour. If you don't have a proofing basket, shape the dough into a round or oblong 5cm thick, dust a clean cloth generously with flour and put the dough in the centre. Fold the edges of the cloth over the top of the dough to cover and leave  in a warm place to rise to double in bulk, about an hour.

Preheat the oven to 200 C.

Heat a large Dutch oven in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and gently tip the dough in. Cover with a tight fitting lid and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and bake for a further 20 minutes. The bread is done when the base sounds hollow when tapped.

Make the Butter:
Put the sugar and water in a medium saucepan and heat over medium heat until the sugar has melted. You can stir it up to this point. Increase the heat and STOP STIRRING and bring it to the boil. Boil for bout 3 - 4 minutes, until it turns a light golden colour. You are permitted to swirl the pan, but no stirring (Bossy, aren't I?) Remove from the heat and add the orange juice and zest. Put the pan back on the heat and cook for another 2 -3 minutes until the rind is soft. Cool the syrup, then chill in the refrigerator.

Using an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, whip the butter and cinnamon for about 3 - 4 minutes, until fluffy. Fold the cold orange syrup into the butter mixture.

Spoon the butter into small ramekins and chill in the refrigerator until needed.

18 comments:

  1. That butter looks awesome! Do u need to grease the dutch oven with anything to stop the bread sticking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Morgan. No, don't grease the Dutch oven or it will smoke. My bread didn't sick, but if you're worried about it, dust a little flour onto the base of the Dutch oven just before you tip the bread in.

      Delete
    2. Cool, can't wait to try it. Yum!

      Delete
  2. I'm not into fruit bread but I trust you nd I want to try this bread! Love your bowl to make rise the bread!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so good Gabrielle. I can't stop eating it. The proofing basket is so pretty and works really well. Thanks,

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous! And I love, love all the dried fruit you've added!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. I used all my favourite dried fruits.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful fruit bread, looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheri. I'm pretty sure this will be on my breakfast table time after time now.

      Delete
  5. This looks totally divine fruit bread:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful!!! I can't believe that this is a no-knead recipe... heaven for rather unpredictable bakers like me! I'd marry the bread also... actually, it can be my third concubine because I'm already committed to spelt sourdough, German rye, ciabatta and your earl grey tea loaf.... does that make me a bread floozy? Oh well. If it does, I don't care. I'll be in carbohydrate heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. We should start our own bread floozy club.

      Delete
  7. I'm in a very serious and committed relationship with sourdough baking - thanks to you ;-) but I would consider a sneaky weekend away with this no-knead fruit loaf!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anything that is no knead has my name on it! I have a great "crock pot" no knead bread that was my grandma's recipe and I think I might adapt that for a fruited loaf! Karen

    ReplyDelete