Thursday 22 May 2014

Tahini Orange and Coconut Toasted Muesli - Gluten Free










A special hello to my gluten-free friends. I know I'm the Dutchess of Dough laden with wheat flour. I know I'm constantly baking cakes and breads that are stacked with gluten that your tummies don't like. But I will try to take better care of you from now on, starting with this delicious toasted muesli. I had it for my breakfast this morning and I think I'm going to have it for my lunch... because I love you.


Tahini Orange and Coconut Toasted Muesli - Gluten Free
slightly adapted from Emma Galloway's My Darling Lemon Thyme
Makes enough to almost fill a 2 litre jar

250g quinoa flakes
1 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup cashews, roughly chopped
1/4 cup whole natural almonds, roughly chopped
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
40g virgin coconut oil
40ml dark agave nectar
40g tahini
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Finely grated zest of 1 orange
1/4 teaspoon fine salt (I used Pink Himalaya salt)
1/2 cup dried blueberries
1/2 cup dried sour cherries, roughly chopped
1 cup mejool dates, pitted and finely chopped

Preheat the oven to 180C.

Put the quinoa, coconut, cashews, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds in a large bowl and mix to combine.

In a small saucepan, combine the coconut oil, agave nectar, tahini, vanilla extract, orange zest and salt. Heat over low heat until it comes to the boil, stirring constantly.

Pour the tahini mixture over the quinoa mixture and mix thoroughly until well combined. You want all the dry mixture to be slicked with the wet mixture.

Spoon into a large deep baking tray and bake for about 30 - 35 minutes, stirring every ten minutes until the entire mixture is golden brown.

Remove from the oven and let it cool completely in the tray. Add the dried fruit and stir and transfer to a large airtight jar. Muesli will keep for 2 -3 weeks.

18 comments:

  1. That looks awesome! I love making homemade granola, I guess I should try muesli too! Love all the flavors in here. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks June. I think toasted muesli is what we Aussies call granola. But whatever you call it, this one is yummy.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE YOU JEN!! From the bottom of my gluten-disabled heart (gut) I can't wait to whip up a batch of this really, really soon (as in probably Sunday night) and make everyone in the office envious of my awesome breakfasts! Thank you! Also, heading out to buy this book ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you too Amy and I really hope you get some time to make this. I think you will love it. (You might not need the book, because I think, over time, I'll probably cook/bake everything that's in it.)

      Delete
  3. I have never tried making my own granola but with all my food intolerances it makes sense! Beautiful recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martine. I always make my own granola, and this is a really good one.

      Delete
  4. I think that's the most original granola I have ever seen. It's different with lots of great ingredients, I love it! You'll always stay the dough queen in my head :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Gabrielle. I like being dough queen.

      Delete
  5. The flavors in this sound fabulous!! I agree with Gabrielle, so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks wonderful, I could eat this every morning for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheri. I eat granola/toasted muesli for breakfast most mornings so I like to try new combinations. I'll be making this one over and over again.

      Delete
  7. Really gorgeous granola! Love the varied ingredients too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria. It's an easy and delicious wake up.

      Delete
  8. Just brilliant the way you incorporated tahini into this muesli. Who would have thought?!

    ReplyDelete