Monday 20 October 2014

Apple and Amaretto Crumble Cake









While I was editing the code for this post, I noticed that even the code swears at itself  - " umuB6IdGtE/VERSB1w2K2I/AAAAAAAAWYQ/mngZDlFU2ck/s800/Apple%2Band%2BAmaretto%2BCrumble%2BCake%2B2.jpg " - So it's not just me?




Apple and Amaretto Crumble Cake
adapted from here

For the Cake:
250g peeled and coarsely grated apple
30g walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
Grated zest of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons of Amaretto
210g plain flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 teaspoon ground cloves
45g ground almonds
3 eggs
180ml sunflower oil
230g caster sugar
1/3 teaspoon salt

For the Crumble:
70g plain flour
20g brown sugar
50g unsalted butter

Make the Crumble:
Put all the ingredients into a bowl. Rub the butter into the dry ingredients until well incorporated and the mixture resembles course breadcrumbs. Set aside.

Make the Cake:
Preheat the oven to 170C. Line a 21cm x 11cm loaf tin with baking paper or a loaf tin liner and set aside.

Mix the apple, walnuts, lemon zest and Amaretto together in a small bowl. Set aside.

In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and cloves. Stir in the ground almonds. Set aside.

Separate 2 of the eggs, keeping the whites separate while mixing the yolks with the third egg. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the oil and sugar together for about 1 minute. Slowly add the yolk and egg mixture. Quickly add the dry ingredients, followed by the apple mixture. Mix until just combined.

In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites with the salt until stiff peaks form. Gently fold them into the cake mixture.

Pour the batter into the prepared tin and sprinkle the top evenly with the crumble mixture. Bake for 60 - 70 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave the cake to cool in the tin. Remove from tin when the cake is room temperature.



6 comments:

  1. Oh my hahahaha you made me laugh with your code hahah!!! I love it :) I've so many apples cause it's the season that this cake has all for him in my kitchen!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Code humour - love it :)
    The apple lady at the markets keeps giving me bags of free apples. Free apples and booze equals a great cake indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a sucker for anything amaretto... send some of this my way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This, as is in ever thing you make, looks amazing! I might have give this one a try! Thanks so much for sharing your masterpieces!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing as always and your photos are scrumptious as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't mess with code. It totally baffles me. This bread however does not baffle me - looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete