Wednesday 28 January 2015

Salted Caramel Ice Cream










My boys were telling me how much they love my ice cream the other day. Today I found myself in the kitchen making ice cream. They have me well trained.




Salted Caramel Ice Cream
slightly adapted from here
makes 1 litre

1 1/2 cups low fat milk
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornflour
3 tablespoons (45g) cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 1/2 cup cream
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
2/3 cups caster sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Put 2 tablespoons of the milk and the cornflour into a small bowl and mix to make a smooth slurry. Set aside.

Whisk the cream cheese and the salt together in a medium bowl until smooth. Set aside.

Mix the cream with the corn syrup in a mixing bowl. Set aside.

Put the sugar into a large heavy-based saucepan and place it over a medium heat. Heat the sugar until it starts to melt and become a golden amber at the edges. Use a spatula to gently mixing the unmelted sugar into the melted sugar and keep cooking until the mixture turns into a deep golden. Remove from the heat and slowly add the cream mixture bit by bit, stirring constantly. It will spit and fizz up. 

Once all the cream has been added, return the pan to the heat and increase the temperature to medium-high. Add the milk and bring to a boil. Boil for 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and gradually whisk in the cornflour slurry.

Put the pan back on the heat and cook for another minute or so until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat. Pour this hot mixture into the cream cheese mixture and whisk until smooth. Add the vanilla and whisk until combined. 

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, making sure the plastic wrap lays directly on top of the mixture. This will prevent a skin from forming. Leave to cool a little, then place the bowl in the refrigerator to get completely cold.

Pour the cold mixture into your ice cream machine and churn according the manufacturer's instruction. Eat it soft straight from the machine or store it in a freezer-safe container in the freezer for 4 hours to firm up.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, I'm just like you. When someone compliment me on one of my dishes, I'll do it soon after. Eh la la, we just want to make people happy hun Jen :) & your salted caramel ice cream surely does that! I'm kind of jealous (in a good way) because it looks so good!! & I love salted caramel hihi :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy looks delicious! Salted caramel is one of my favorite ice cream flavors :)

    ReplyDelete