Monday 4 May 2015

Trail Mix Granola

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I have a tendency to over-cater. A recent case in point was when my oldest son went on school camp last week. Part of the experience was for the kids to provide their own food, cook all their own meals and pack their own lunches each day, including snacks. So the day before they left, I packed an obscene amount of food in boxes and made trail mix like a woman possessed. I just knew those boys wouldn't survive without trail mix. Except, they did survive. The trail mix went on school camp and came home, unopened. So on unpacking it, I decided to throw it all on a baking tray with some oats and spices and give it a new lease of life. It's like army surplus trail mix, especially seeing as how I packed enough for an army.
 
 
 
Trail Mix Granola
Makes enough to feed an army (or a 2 litre container)

2 cups raw cashews
1 cup brazil nuts, roughly chopped
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup pumpkins seeds
3 cups traditional rolled oats
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons light muscovado sugar
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
125g dark chocolate coated blueberries
1/2 cup dried apricots, diced small

Preheat the oven to 170C and line two baking trays with baking paper. Set aside.

Put the cashews, brazil nuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, oats, coconut, cinnamon, sugar and salt into a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine.

Pour the olive oil, maple syrup into a jug and mix. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir to coat all the oats, nuts and seeds.

Spread the mixture evenly on the prepared trays and bake for about 20 - 30 minutes, rotating the pans and stirring the granola halfway through the baking time to ensure even browning. It should be lovely and golden and toasted when done. Allow to cool completely on the trays. Add the chocolate coated blueberries and diced apricots and toss to mix. Store in an airtight container.




 
 

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you... I've been over catering for many years! Love the granola... very tasty indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww you make me laugh Jen!!! I don't have children yet but just with my boyfriend, I always make too much food and too much big lunchs for him. When he's coming back home with almost everything in his big lunchbox, I'm really sad haha! So now, I force myself to make less so that he appreciates each thing in his lunch. Oh well, I'm sure this habit is going to come back with my children one day :P Love the fact that you ''re-used'' the trail mix. I'm sure this granola is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly love your combination of trail mix ingredients! Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete