Monday 7 December 2015

Grasshopper Pie











Seeing as how we are into the second week of December, I thought I should probably get my festive booty into gear and start serving some food fit for the season... Enter stage left, Christmas sprinkles, gingerbread, candy canes, Stollen, fruit mince and peppermint scented everything.  My kitchen is covered in a patina of flour, icing sugar, warm spices and red and gold glitter.  I see a serious booty workout for my festive booty in my near future.  I don't think you're really for that particular jelly.





Grasshopper Pie
slightly adapted from here

For the Base:
300g Chocolate Ripple Biscuits
50g dark chocolate, chopped
55g unsalted butter, melted

For the Filling:
2 cups Marshmallow Fluff
1/4 cup creme de menthe liquor
2 cups thickened cream

Make the Base:
Blitz the biscuits in a processor until you have a fine crumb.  Remove and reserve 1/4 cup of the crumbs for decorating and set aside. 

Add the chocolate and butter to the crumbs that are left in the processor and blitz until they start to clump together.

Tip the mixture into a 20cm round sprinform tin.  Press the crumbs into the base and and a little up the sides of the tin and put it in the refrigerator to chill while you make the filling.

Make the Filling:
In a large mixing bowl, beat the Marshmallow Fluff and creme de methe together until combined.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the cream on medium-high speed until soft peaks form.  Stop the mixer, add the marshmallow mixture and whisk on low speed until completely combined.  

Pour the filling into the chilled base.  Sprinkle with the reserved biscuit crumbs and pop it into the freezer for at least 2 hours to set.  Remove from the freezer 20 minutes before slicing and serving.

4 comments:

  1. Loooooove your pie!!! I made that once when I was little and I love it. I should make it again for Christmas time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So retro! So delicious! I love how fun grasshopper pie is, and how great it is to say :)
    This would make the perfect festive treat to eat while staring at my Christmas tree lights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you just love the name? It's definitely tree-light gazing nosh.

      Delete