Thursday 3 July 2014

Coconut Mocha Cupcakes with Coconut Frosting and Mocha Drizzle













I was going to take a photo of a half eaten cupcake, but I forgot and ate all of it.



Coconut Mocha Cupcakes with Coconut Frosting and Mocha Drizzle
slightly adapted from How Sweet It Is
Makes 12

For the Cupcakes:
150g caster sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup coconut milk
115g unsalted butter, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
180g plain flour (I used cake flour)
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3 tablespoons instant coffee powder
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine salt (I used Pink Himalaya)
2 tablespoons Greek yoghurt
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

For the Frosting:
115g unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cup icing sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 - 2 tablespoons coconut milk

For the Drizzle:
1/2 cup icing sugar
3/4 teaspoon instant coffee powder
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
2 - 3 teaspoons coconut milk

Make the Cupcakes:
Preheat the oven to 180C (350F) and line a cupcake pan with paper liners. Set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs and sugar. Add the coconut milk, butter and vanilla. Mix well to combined.

In a separate bowl, sift the flour, cocoa, coffee, baking powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix on low until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and yoghurt.

Divide the batter between the liners and bake for 15 - 18 minutes. Remove to a wire rack and leave to cool completely. Frost and drizzle to your hearts content.

Make the Frosting:
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter until smooth. Add the icing sugar and once incorporated add the vanilla and coconut milk. Beat until fluffy, about 5 minutes.

Make the Drizzle:
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix until smooth until you have a drizzling consistency.


12 comments:

  1. Okay, well, I want one. Now :) Please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I be your neighbour? These look so delicious. I have never thought to combine coffee and chocolate, but I think these will be a hit at work. I know what I'll be making for a Monday workmate treat this weekend! Thanks Jen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. I hope your friends enjoy them. Coffee and chocolate are magic together.

      Delete
  3. These cupcakes look delish. Love the coconut mocha combo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rochelle. I love moc-coco flavours as well.

      Delete
  4. Ha! You forgot? Well, there are more important things than taking photographs of half-eaten cupcakes. Like, uh, eating them...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I think its a miracle if any shots ever get taken at my house. Now that it's summer here and the boys are home they hover like bees, and pester me to hurry up! I'd have a hard time resisting those gorgeous cupcakes too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I hear you Maria. My boys are like "C'mon Mum, we're sure your shots will be great, now let us at them!"They may need therapy one day.

      Delete
  6. Jennifer, these are absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. They were very much gone soon after these pictures were taken.

      Delete