Wednesday 27 August 2014

Barbecue Beef, Bean and Bacon Bake











This post was brought to you by the letter "B".



Barbecue Beef, Bean and Bacon Bake
slightly adapted from Foodie with Family
Serves 4 - 6

For the Barbecue Sauce:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon mustard powder
Dash of liquid smoke (or use 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika)
2 cloves garlic, minced
Hot sauce to taste

For the Bake:
250g bacon
500g ground beef
1 onion, roughly chopped
1 x 400g can borlotti beans, drained
1 x 400g can butter beans, drained
1 x 400g can black beans, drained

Make the Barbecue Sauce:
Put all the sauce ingredients into a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until combined and bring to a boil. Cook for a further minutes and then set aside.

Make the Bake:
Preheat the oven to 160C.

Put the bacon and onion into a food processor and blitz until finely chopped. Add it to a large, deep, oven-proof frying pan. Cook on medium heat. The fat from the bacon should start to render out so you shouldn't need any oil, but if your bacon is lean, then you could add a drop of olive oil to the pan. Cook for about 5 - 7 minutes until the bacon is a little golden and the onion has softened a little. Add the beef and cook until browned, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as needed. Add all of the beans and the barbecue sauce and 1/3 cup water to the pan. Give it a good stir. Put the whole pan into the oven and bake for about an hour until hot and bubbly.


5 comments:

  1. All I can say is Fab. U. Lous. !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dish reminds me of something that we eat in Québec called ''fèves au lard''. It's baked beans with lard or bacon for my family recipe, with molasses, mustard, onion, etc. It's really similar to this and your recipe is making me curious. I wanna eat it with a nice piece of bread...I should try this instead of my family recipe, watch out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really a perfect meal in one pot. I could just plunk myself down with it and a spoon (and maybe some cornbread..) and be a happy camper. Looks so, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GOT to get my hands on liquid smoke - sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love using liquid smoke in my rib marinade recipe. I think it just gives it a little something...more...
    This stew looks like it would be a big hit with my beef and bacon loving boyfriend (more letter B!). Thanks for sharing Jen :)

    ReplyDelete